-Lexi
CAUTION: The blog you are about to read does contain knowledge about ticks. Please try to withhold random outbursts of excitement, you will scare the people near you. But! Here's an overview of my summer undergraduate research internship at Old Dominion University for a tick surveillance study. Read about what I've learned and done so far in the lab and field. Ticks are cool! Feel free to leave comments or questions.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Blackwater
Holly and I traveled today to Suffolk to pick up ticks collected by another group who were eager to share their findings. After which we flagged for ticks at a Blackwater Ecologic Preserve. Blackwater is part of a pine restoration project, and after a number of years to maintain diversity of the area, a certain amount of the woods there is burned. This promotes early succession and strengthens grassland communities and provides an opportunity for certain plants to grow that need the fire to break through the seed coats. Very few ticks were found in this area overall which helps provoke more research questions as to why not. My mind is beginning to ponder what research questions interest me most. I guess time will tell. A variety of tasks and discoveries to come over the next few weeks. I can't wait!
Labels:
Blackwater
Location:
Suffolk, VA, USA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment