Tuesday was spent in the lab sorting ticks due the rain we were supposed to receive, but never really got. Flagging for ticks in the rain is really pointless because it gets the flags wet and you would get little to no data. So even with a risk of rain we use the day to work on sorting ticks some more.
Today to start the day off we had training about lab safety as well as biological hazards and awareness of BBP's; which include HIV, HBV, HCV, and if dealing with BBP's make sure to have your PPE. We got to watch a very dramatic video about blood born pathogens and the necessity of protecting one's self using personal protection equipment, like gloves or a mask if necessary. We also received a lecture about general lab safety and knowledge. We are required to be informed on this matter because we work in a lab and I suppose anything could happen. So I'll have to review the content and study hard for my take home test.
After a morning of learning how not to get blood born pathogens from others, each of the RUMs students and myself gave presentation on a tick species. We each covered general facts about the tick, known hosts, known pathogens, and known competent, reservoir , and amplifying hosts. I never realized how gray the world of tick pathogens truly was. There is much debate about which ticks carry which disease due to the fact that many of the tests we have only test to the genus level of bacteria, resulting in the Rickettsia, Ehrlichia , Borrelia, etc. But, there are many bacteria that lie within each genus so the testing isn't conclusive to the level of data we want to specifically identify which bacteria cause what disease, and which tick species can transmit it.
This only adds to the mystery of ticks. I doubt I will cease in asking questions anytime soon, but that's science, so I hope I never do.
-Lexi
No comments:
Post a Comment