Friday, July 13, 2012

Every day is different

Kiptopeke! Every week I write about this field site and I feel ridiculously redundant. If working with ticks has taught me anything, every day is always different. You never know who you will encounter, what you will find, or how the weather will turn out. Today we got to see some small wild critters.

 A toad just off the boardwalk trail very carefully camouflaged 


 Managed to pick up two Ixodes on what flag sweep, here is a comparison of an Adult Ixodes on my flag to a pair of tweezers. 

Classic Adult Lone Star Female, I have to hold onto her hind legs or she would run away very fast

Lastly out near the beach, Amy found this turtle hanging out in the grass. We were careful to flag around him or her.

My interest for research is growing each day here, there is always something new to learn and discover, I love it. 

On the schedule for next week: fieldwork, work on my model some more, and head back to Maine for a couple of days. Only a few more weeks left here in Virginia, and I am determined to make the most of it and take as much as I can away from this program to greater develop my skill set. 

So! Stay tuned and we will see what the rest of my summer entails, 
-Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment