Kudzu is a very new thing for me. We had quite a long carride the other day, but every time we'd pass kudzu I couldn't help but stare. I remember discussing it in one of my plant lectures at Unity, but until you see the aggressive and invasive nature of this of the plant you do not have full understanding. I was in awe over how it could encase an entire tree or forested area.

Kudzu covering the lower vegetation
Kudzu hanging off a tree
The Society for Mathematical Biology conference was held at the Knoxville Convention Center. The food was amazing, the escalators were entertaining, and now when I walk into any restroom I demand that the faucet turn itself on. OH! And I learned a lot too.
The atmosphere of the conference was very comfortable. Everyone was approachable, welcoming, inquisitive of my interests and open to giving advice and suggestions for my future. I absolutely loved hearing everyone talk about what they were interested in. You could tell when someone truly loved what they were working on because the energy they brought to the conversation just made me smile and in many ways inspired me. The connections that can be made at these meetings are priceless. Especially through things such as dancing! Contra dancing was very entertaining and allowed for a greater chance to meet new people and just enjoy everyone’s company as we giggled and attempted to follow the patterns of the dance.
Simply being in Knoxville for this conference has opened up a new world for me. Working with mathematical models allows one to ask questions, I had never quite imagined before. So as I step into the work of quantitative analysis and research, I will begin to ask my own questions. Keep your eye out; the next time I am at an SMB meeting, I hope to be among the presenters to report my own findings within the realm of mathematical biology.
The park just outside of the convention center was absolutely beautiful!
And of course there is the World's Fair Park from 1982, the fancy sunsphere. Complete with an elevator, with no specific instructors not to jump in the elevator, but if you do...you could be stuck for an hour and you will be fined. The view from the top includes the entirety of the park which was beautiful.
Just as our meeting was ending the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association moved into the second floor of the convention center. The bathroom signs were very entertaining to us mathletes.
And of course! I got to see my academic adviser Carrie Diaz Eaton. It was a fun reunion as we plotted for my impending fall course on ecological disease models!
After a long week of indoor math bio talks, Holly, Robyn and I decided to go 'nerding.' Typically we are out in the field flagging for ticks, so after a stretch of just being indoors we needed a chance to get some fresh air. Holly introduced us to the Ijams Nature Center.
As we walked along the path, we couldn't help but laugh. We were comparing the habitat to our
other field sites and I realized I was strutting 'carelessly' through the woods in shorts and flip-flops just provoking the ticks.
The river along the park was a great place to jet ski or take a kayak out...
GEOLOGIC FOLD!!! Geology nerd moment, but it was really interesting to see the bend of the rock.
Climbing the rock was not permitted, I was tempted.
Another outlook onto the water...this time you can see the plants within the water.
My last two days in Knoxville, I conquered Market Square and the streets around there. I'm not use to being around parks so it was fun to see all the artwork, fountains, and people just out enjoying the day.
This guy is known as "The Oarsman" who was crafted by Michael Phelps in 1983. It was amazing to see in person in terms of both size and detail. It resides at the corner of Gay St and Church Ave.
It was fun to go to all the museums and learn about some of the history of Knoxville. Including the "Cradle of Country Music" walking tour, which I highly reccomend, but I am a bit biased. Within the East Tennessee museum it became apparent I was a country music girl when all the older songs played as a part of the exhibit and I knew all the words.
Tennessee was a great experience for me from a professional standpoint at the conference, personal standpoint of being able to wander around a city and be comfortable, and in general just meeting fascinating people from many areas of the world who all come together for the similar passion towards math biology.
Back to Virginia for a few more weeks, hopefully learning all about mist netting and then getting ready for my last year at Unity. I am very appreciative for the comfort I have in where my future is going. Nothing is planned but I am developing an understanding of graduate studies and where things can go after undergrad. When you have many possibilities and hope, you can go just about anywhere.
Beyond thankful for this summer opportunity,
and sincerely content,
-Lexi
No comments:
Post a Comment