Saturday, August 11, 2012

Until next time...

A whole summer wrapped up into one very, very busy week, complete with all the different things I have learned this summer. On Monday, I took my last trip across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with David, on our way to Kiptopeke. We spent the morning watching the weather. Every week we always try to plan out our field sites. Rainy days, mean wet flags, and little to no ticks collected. Therefore we headed out to beat the storm. Lucky for us, just as we finished the final transect, and were checking our flags for all the larvae, the thunder began to roll and it began to rain. It was very good timing to say the least. 

The rainy weather carried over into a bright and early morning, mistnetting at Hoffler on Tuesday. A damp morning, unraveling mistnets and getting them ready to catch birds at dawn, turned into a rainy field day hiding under a tarp. 
Mistnet down the trail at Hoffler

American Robin
American Robin



Thursday was my last day in Virginia for the summer, and it definitely went out with a bang. We spent the night before flagging, setting traps, and getting the nets ready. Then got up bright and early Thursday to check traps and mist net. 

Mistnet at Stephens down along Hunters Trail
The day was very quiet in terms of both rodents and birds, but just as we were packing up the nets we caught a Black and White Warbler!

Measuring the metatarsus

Checking out the wing feathers

After all was said and done, I realized I had made a new friend. I went all summer being very careful, double/triple checking, always going into the field prepare and proactive against ticks, but sometimes they are just too persistent. So within my last week of the summer, I found this little nymph attached to my back. It is an Ixodes scapularis nymph who was attached for greater than 24hrs do to the level of engorgement. Also to be noted are the missing mouth parts. But they will work their way out like a splinter in no time. 

Oh and the good news is I had Robyn relay my little nymph to the lab with Chelsea and get it checked for Lyme. It was free and clear. Close call! 

And of course I had to take a few pictures :)
Top of Ixodes nymph

Underside of Ixodes nymph

It was so peculiar getting on the plane and heading home. This summer has provided me with more than I had ever imagine to gain. I have met such amazing people, been exposed to a variety of fieldwork, and also dove into the field of math biology. I'm very excited and hopeful for my future. Only time will tell where I will end up or what I will do, but I'm definitely going places!

Until next time Norfolk,
-Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment