After hard work making wolves eat grass and collaboration with Dr. Holly Gaff, I was able to submit a poster at the Natural Areas Conference in Norfolk, VA. I was very worried that I would be unable to afford travel to attend the conference, but I am very grateful for the President and VP at Unity College for their contributions to help me arrive in Norfolk once again.
Here I am standing with my poster
Everyone walking around and networking
Needless to say it was great to see everyone again! It definitely lifts my spirits to dive back into a research project that I loved being involved with. The conference was a great experience, to discuss project ideas, career goals, future aspirations, and even simply how modeling is important to the everyday person.
First real conference presentation....check!
The Rums Tick Lab Crew, we became known as the 'tick people' at the conference.
Back in Unity, missing Virginia, even though the Maine fall weather is my favorite. The opportunities and chances I have been given this summer made the difference between limited career goals, to a future and a direction for me.
Word is I'll be back in Virginia before I know it. For now, I'm going to be known as the Tick girl around my small college campus and shout Dermacentor variabilis as if it were a swear, just because I can (its the scientific name for dog tick). It keeps life interesting to be nerdy, and it reminds me of this summer when I learned so much.
A couple more months another semester will be complete. Still can't believe I'm already a Senior in College, let alone looking into a graduate program...not to bad for a first generation college student from small town Maine.
For now,
-Lexi



No comments:
Post a Comment